Monday 26 August 2013

We're Doooooomed, Dooooomed I tell ya!

As an actor I have never been keen on the idea of performing in a stage version of a popular TV series: one is on a hiding to nothing - s/he is nothing like...or - s/he is just an impersonation of...

John Laurie - Frazer in the TV series

But I find myself playing Frazer in Dads'  Army and enjoying the familiarity of the script and characters, as well as the creativity of interpretation from some of the actors, who are definitely bringing something of themselves to the role.

The scripts are cleverer than I remember them being and the comedy is very much character based. The pieces are technically difficult on a small stage, but that is adding to the creativity of the process. 

I think audiences will relish the familiar figures played somewhat differently and the combination of episodes selected is excellent - contrasting the lovely character comedy of Mum's Army with the out and out farce of the other two pieces.
This will provide an evening of pure joy for audiences. 


Vic Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment