Wednesday 4 September 2013

Dads Army and the Newbie


I am the new  kid on the block! At 61 new is probably not the correct word but new to the Blackwood Little Theatre stage.  

I have been involved with BLT for a couple of years,  firstly as an audience  member and then helping with fund raising and now on the executivecommittee.  Almost for fun and something to do on one Tuesday evening, I attending the casting reading  for  Dads Army. To my great suprise, Peta then offered my the part of  Private Hancock which  I was well chuffed with! 
After 3 weeks of rehearsals,  Peta  came to me and said  that they were not keeping Hancock  in  and I felt somewhat deflated that my acting career finished before I had even learn't the line (singular)!
However, she explained that I was being 'bumped up the ranks'  from private to Colonel Pritchard!   Not even in my years at KFC did I get promoted that fast !! 
Robert Raglan.  The Original Colonel Pritchard in Dads Army

Also,  in 'The Godiva Affair', I get to play the role of  'Mr Gordon', the Town Clerk of  Walmington on Sea.  Watch out for the word 'Fleshings' in that one!  
So after one school nativity play 1956   ( I was a sheep)  then a school play (as the Judge in Toad of Toad  Hall) I am back with a credit rating of -6.... so beware! 

Eric Longworth as Mr Gordon, the Town Clerk.

In all honesty, there is more than  a little pride in keeping up my  family tradition -  not acting though!  My Grandfather was a sergeant in the Kenley Home Guard in 1942.    He was rather like  'Wilson' in that he  a bit of a ladies man!   Sadly,  I took after my mothers side of the family and can cook well!
Do come along and see my long awaited return to the stage....its been a while.....and join in the fun of Dads Army at Blackwood Little Theatre.

Colonel Graham Harrison!  

No comments:

Post a Comment